Wind power, solar energy and hydropower are 3 of the best known sources of energy. Solar power is the most plentiful source of energy because it's more widely distributed than any other source and works as a great water heater accounting for a huge amount of global energy use.
The price of solar cells continues to fall and they are already the least expensive source of electricity for much of the rural developing world. Unfortunately, solar energy gets interrupted by nightfall and climate changes.
There are infrastructure costs in all technology, but as technology evolves, costs tend to go down and efficiency gets better. Wind power is an efficient source of energy that can be used to power individual households and larger communities.
The down side is when wind stops moving energy production stops. The up side includes technical advances in solid state wind energy generators. The EWICON, short for electrostatic wind energy converter is a working prototype at the Delft University campus in Rotterdam.
The device creates electricity and has no moving parts. Since most of the maintenance costs in traditional wind turbines are due to constructing and replacing moving parts, from gearbox to blades, solid state wind production would significantly transform cost efficiency, waste and environmental impacts.
Hydropower is one of the most reliable forms of energy used all over the world. Energy from water flowing over waterfalls, rapid river diversions and dams across slower moving waterways pass through generators that convert kinetic energy into electrical energy.
Hydropower projects are simple to construct, easy to scale up or down and relatively cost effective. The downside is location and volume of year round supply.
- Sources and variety of renewable energy production is growing and getting more efficient.
- Energy generators are becoming more affordable to buy as they shrink in size and grow in production capability.
- Small scale energy storage and management is already starting to replace older, hard to maintain, large scale, polluting or unsustainable sources from the past.
"When there is a system of high pressure hovering above you, more electricity through solar will be created. But when a low-pressure system takes over, then the solid-state wind transformer will generate more."
Read more ...This content requires Subscription. Please Login or Become a Subscriber. It's free.
- Smart Control of Energy Saving Home Improvement November 27, 2020
- Save Money Save the Planet by Following Home Energy Trends November 20, 2020
- Climate Change Impacts on Human Life Systems November 13, 2020
- Wind Power Solar Energy and Hydropower – Solid State Update November 6, 2020
- Recycling Consumer Electronics – A Waste Management Priority October 30, 2020
- Heat Recovery Ventilation Benefits to Health and Energy Efficiency October 23, 2020
- DIY Curtain Ideas That Save Money and Save the Planet October 16, 2020
- Are Modular Container Energy Efficient Homes Cost Effective? October 9, 2020
- Why Install LED Shop Lights As Soon As Possible? October 2, 2020