New curtains, blinds and window coverings can get expensive when looking for ways to cover windows and lower energy costs. If you plan to cover those windows and are on a budget, you can try some of the following curtain hacks to reduce your rooms heat exchange at little to no cost.
Free insulation can usually be found at your closest furniture or appliance store. It comes in the form of large sheets of plastic bubble wrap that is discarded when new floor models are opened for display. Alternatively, any bubble wrap from any packaging source can be used to help slow heat transfer between inside and outside environments.
For attic or basement windows that are only used for light transfer and you don't care what it looks like from the outside, the insulation can be applied with packaging tape to fasten it to the window or frame.
Multi purpose windows and sliding glass doors are a different story. Window dressing larger surfaces need more material, creativity and effort. Replacement of large curtains can be avoided by selling them at a yard sale or giving them away to a community thrift shop.
Instead of relining window facing fabric because it looks bad, yellowed or is damaged, consider recycling it. For example add another layer of cloth using bed sheets, old linens, or drop cloths. While your at it, why not add some bubble wrap between the sheets.
- Use bubble wrap from any packaging source to keep it out of the trash and reuse it to slow heat transfer between inside and outside environments.
- Recycle old linens, bed sheets or low cost drop cloths you have or find in a thrift store.
- Save money save the planet in creative ways by reusing a variety of materials before they enter the waste stream because one person's trash is another's treasure.
"Reusing plastic bubble wrap to upgrade insulation keeps it out of the waste stream and will save you the cost of adding insulation while saving money on heating or cooling your home."
Read more ...This content requires Subscription. Please Login or Become a Subscriber. It's free.
- DIY Curtain Ideas That Save Money and Save the Planet October 16, 2020
- Are Modular Container Energy Efficient Homes Cost Effective? October 9, 2020
- Why Install LED Shop Lights As Soon As Possible? October 2, 2020
- The Importance of Individual Recycling September 25, 2020
- High Protein Foods To Lower Environmental Impacts of Beef September 18, 2020
- Preparing For Clean-up After a Natural Disaster September 11, 2020
- Solar Water Purifier Providing Access to Clean Water September 4, 2020
- How to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality August 28, 2020
- Top Ways to Create an Eco Friendly Business August 21, 2020